Dorset v County Durham - BICC 2014/2015 Season - Dorset County Darts

Home v County Durham - Saturday 4th / Sunday 5th October 2014

Dorset v County Durham Match Report

Dorset County Darts Association on Green Background Logo
County Durham County Darts Logo

Dorset played their first match in the BICC Division 1 this weekend 4th/5th October against County Durham. They were hoping to continue the form that saw them narrowly miss promotion to the premier division last season.

On Saturday at midday the Ladies B opened Dorset's campaign, first up was Felicia Blay (Melcombe Regis) unfortunately she struggled to find her top game and lost 1-3 (13.76). She was followed by Claire Whatley (Bournemouth) playing her 5th game since her return to the county stage last season, she hit a 16 dart final leg to win the game 3-2 (18.34) and the Lady of the match award. This was to be Dorset's only win in the Ladies B as the last four players despite playing well failed to win any of their games. They were Lin Bellingham (Melcombe Regis) 0-3 (16.94), Julie Boggust (Lytchett) 2-3 (17.43), Donna Mabbatt (Poole) 1-3 (17.31) and Ladies Captain Sally Old (Sherborne) 0-3 (17.07).

1-5 down and not the start that the team had hoped for.

The Men's B team were next on to the stage. First up returning from a back injury was Steve Penney (Lytchett) winning 3-1 (23.80). Second to play was Terry Gowans (Melcombe Regis) checking out with a superb 101 to win his match 3-2 (23.59), Matt Woodhouse (Alderholt) was clinical with a Man of the match award winning performance 3-0 (27.83). Fourth to play was Sean McMurray (Portland) despite hitting the first 180 of the match he just lost out in the deciding leg 2-3 (24.50). Up next was Lee Turle (Kinson) making his 10th appearance for the county, a terrific win 3-1 (26.51). Last up before the break was Rich Perry (Lytchett) although taking two shotouts of 106 and 113, lost 2-3 (21.98).

With the match score standing at 5-7 in the visitors favour, the second half of the men's match began with Graham Knight (Dorchester) his new darts performing well, winning 3-1 (25.18). With 313 previous appearances under his belt, the veteran and team Manager John Clark (Lytchett) wins 3-0 (25.47). The match now all square Rob Martin (Alderholt) takes to the stage to put Dorset in front for the first time in the day 3-1 (22.77). Next up Men's Captain Mark Porter (Lytchett) extending the lead winning 3-1 (25.46). The penultimate game of the day was Alan Ayres (Sherborne), fighting back from 0-2 down and just missing a 119 shot in the last leg he loses 2-3 (23.53). Final man to play was Steve O'Marah (Alderholt) ending his run of bad luck with a solid win 3-0 (22.10). The Men's B match result was 9-3 giving a running match score of 10-8 to Dorset.

Sunday morning was the start of the A team matches, the Ladies start the proceedings again.

First up was Trina Perry (Lytchett) not finding her range, losing 1-3 (14.08). Second to play was Peri Yarrow (Sherborne) back to winning ways with 3-1 (16.80). Up next opening with a superb 16 dart leg was Suzy Trickett (Lytchett) winning 3-0 (20.31). Fourth game up was Caroline Carter (Bournemouth) getting better with every dart she threw, yet another 16 dart leg to win the game and the Lady of the match award 3-0 (23.12). Sarah Chick (Sherborne) played out a five leg epic but just lost out 2-3 (18.34). The finale was another exciting five leg game, Julie Frampton (Christchurch) coolly hitting a 19 dart leg to win 3-2 (19.73) and the Ladies match 4-2.

This made the overall match tally 14-10.

The Men's A team now needed just another five points to take the victory. First on stage to take up the challenge was Ryan Gowans (Melcombe Regis), not to be outdone by his father who had played on the Saturday, trailing 1-3, taking out a 140 shot to swing the momentum and a win 4-3 (26.08). Making a return to the A side was Richard Gomm (Melcombe Regis) taking the game 4-2 (26.96) and collecting the Man of the match award for his efforts. Keeping the wins on target was Tim Clothier (Alderholt), with a nail-biting seven leg game 4-3 (26.56). By the fourth game there was a technical fault with the stage microphone, in spite of this an undeterred John Bothamley (Poole) fought out a hard game just losing 3-4 (26.29). Next up was Matt Read (Sherborne) who played Durham's Man of the match, losing with a respectable 0-4 (24.22). Sixth game was to see Nigel Lamb (Sherborne) step up to get the point to seal the match draw, he did this in style 4-3 (26.86).

The second half of the Men's A match would see Dorset's England International Scott Mitchell (Lytchett) take to the stage to have the honour of sealing the match win. A solid performance winning 4-1 (26.35) would take the win and the bonus points. Despite best endeavours from the home players, Kevin Smith (Poole) 3-4 (24.81), Steve Earley (Boscombe) 1-4 (25.84) and Mark Grimes 3-4 (Christchurch) the next three matches went to the visitors. A late rally from the last two Dorset men Dale Masterman (Lytchett) 4-2 (23.06) and Thomas Chant (Blandford) 4-0 (22.02) would give the home team a fantastic 21-15 triumph.